Tuesday, November 30, 2021

The Winter of my Changing Neighborhood

I live near the Fox River and am just across the street from the houses and businesses that line the riverside. The view from my house to the west provides an uninterrupted view over the river and the sunsets can be breathtaking. Over the course of living here for thirty years the view has not changed much, but winds of development are blowing. 



There is a walking and bicycling trail, the Fox River Trail, along the river that bisects the properties facing the river. It is a rails-to-trails path and has been there for about 20 years. I use the trail several days a week, so I am aware of what homeowners are doing with their riverfront property. Lately, they are doing a lot.

One reason for all of the activity is that the water level in the river has risen in recent years. This has caused docks to be flooded and rendered useless in addition to the erosion of the riverbank. Another is the pandemic. Last summer people were home and either in their yards or on their decks and realized what was happening to their properties. The result was a wave of new docks and an a tsunami of landscapers installing all sorts of measures to deal with high water.  Once the other neighbors saw what was happening they jumped in and the work continued this summer.

In addition to docks and landscape improvements, the boom in housing has had an effect. Houses that have been there for decades, if not longer, have been demolished so new and bigger ones can be built. Empty lots, some seemingly too small for a house, have been filled with new structures. In the coming days a riverfront house not 100 yards from me will be picked up and moved three blocks east to be placed on a lot that has been empty for as long as I can remember. I am keeping a close eye on this as I don't want to miss seeing the house being transported.

In addition to all of this, the Village of Allouez  is considering giving a contractor a variance to build a condominium several stories higher than the current ordinance allows. This building will be a bit north of my view of the sunset, but will still be an imposing presence in the neighborhood. I spoke against it at the public hearing a few weeks ago and the business owners adjacent to the property spoke in favor of it. I believe the variance will be approved as the village leaders are looking to add more housing stock and increase the tax base. It has not been decided as of yet.

As I write this I can see the workers taking down the chimney on the house about to be moved. It won't be long now as I have already noted that the foundation for its new location has been poured. It is inevitable that change will occur, but I am holding onto hope that most of it is for the better.


No comments:

Post a Comment