Friday, November 26, 2021

Riding Season Continues

I woke up in a Thanksgiving meal haze this morning to find snow on the ground and the thermometer hovering around twenty degrees. So even though I have been out riding my 2020 BMW R 1250 GSA twice in the last week I sense that the end of the riding season is near. Since my last post in September I have not gone on any epic rides but I have enjoyed some excellent fall riding experiences.

Most of my rides have been to the north of Green Bay. They usually included a few miles in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and a stop to eat my lunch or snack somewhere along the way. One of my favorites stops was the roadside park on US Highway 2 just east of west of Powers, MI. One day I took a side road to see Long Slide Falls County Park just north of Pembine, WI. It was a great place to enjoy lunch and there was this cool Halloween display. 


I saw a few other interesting sights during my rides, but sometimes they happened so fast there was no opportunity for a picture. On County Road W, just west of Crivitz, I witnessed a bald eagle cross right in front of me trying achieve liftoff with what appeared to be a black cat in its talons. After dragging the creature across the road, in my mirror I saw the big bird drop its prey in opposite ditch. As there was someone right behind me I could not slow down to see if the raptor went back after it. I counted one more bald eagle in a ditch and several flying overhead during my fall rides.

The highways in northern Wisconsin the Upper Peninsula allow a rider to avoid most towns, but sometimes it's interesting to stop and take a look around. One such spot was Daggett, MI. It seems like such an iconic name for a town in the north woods, so after taking a ride through the little burg I stopped for a picture. 

On the days I did not make it all the way up to the UP, I would usually ride over to the resort towns of Mountain and Townsend. That area is well connected with ATV trails and the local towns allow them to drive on the town roads. On Saturdays there are lots of them around and when they are not out raising huge clouds of dust they are gathered at local bars, restaurants and gas stations. It looks like fun, but I would not want to be eating dust, dirt and gravel all day. 


The Broadway District in west Green Bay commissioned a few artists to paint some murals. I took this picture one morning before I headed north for the day. The artist is Beau Thomas.


The weather forecasters are not predicting much snow for the next week and I see at least one day in the forties, so I am not giving up on riding a bit more this year.




No comments:

Post a Comment