Monday, November 29, 2021

Dr. Fauci and Canadian Fishing

The last time I was in Canada was in May of 2019. My fishing partners and I were returning from what had recently become a highly enjoyable week of catching fish, eating fish, and telling fish stories. We had left a deposit with our host and planned to return in May of 2020 for more of the same.



Of course, we did not return 2020 or 2021, and now this new Covid variant has me concerned about 2022. Its course seems to be the same as the original pandemic creator, Covid 19. A few cases here, a few cases there, and the next thing you know it dominates the news. The Delta variant, which fortunately seems to be vulnerable to the Covid 19 vaccines, started out much the same. The scientists are working furiously to figure out how to deal with the Omicron virus, as it's known, while the rest of us wait to find out how 2022 is going to begin.

One thing about the scientists that has me a bit concerned is this story about Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Diseases, getting into some type of talk show argument with Texas Senator and blowhard Ted Cruz. Dr. Fauci could win any argument with Ted Cruz with 90% of his brain tied behind his back, but the country needs 100% of his brain right now to solve this latest virus issue. I urge the good doctor, and everyone else, to ignore Senator Cruz and focus on things that are important, like getting my buddies and me back to our Canadian fishing camp in 2022. 

I have collected a few new lures that I am dying to try on the big lake trout, northern pike and walleye in northern Ontario. My Christmas list has a new St. Croix fishing rod on it. Our camp host has made some great improvements to the place that I have only enjoyed through photographs and a first hand report from someone who made it up there this fall. I will spend a good portion of the next few following the news reports of any virus activity and calculating how it will affect Canadian border crossings. At my age I cannot afford to miss another year of Canadian fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment