Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Chili Stop Leads to a New Helmet

This time of year I am always looking for a reason to visit a local motorcycle shop. The snow and ice are accumulating and the riding season is months away. It feels good to be around bikes and bikers for an afternoon, even without the sounds and smells of the real thing.

I have been planning to get a new helmet since last spring. My current lid, a Harley Davidson full face modular version, is seven years old. Helmet experts say that helmets lose their crash protection effectiveness after five to seven years, so I am due for an update.

My last two helmet purchases have been modulars. In July of 2012 I bought a Shoei Neotec to use when riding my 2011 BMW R1200 GSA. It was more than double the cost of my Harley helmet, but it is a much better product. It is quieter and the fit and finish is excellent. After buying my Harley FXDL S last March, I started thinking about upgrading my Harley modular.

The FXDL S has a small fairing, but I still face a lot of wind when riding. I wanted a helmet like the Neotec, but decided to get a non-modular full face. Shoei offers the GT Air, which is essentially and Neotec without the modular feature. After searching the online Shoei marketers, I planned to wait until attending the International Motorcycle Show in Chicago next month before making a decision. The GT Air retails for anywhere between five and six hundred dollars, so it is a major purchase.

A Harley Davidson dealer within about a thirty minute drive was offering a chili cookoff on a recent Saturday. This was just what I needed after a week of snow shoveling and ice scraping. In anticipation of enjoying some tasty chili and kicking a few tires, I made the short drive south.

The parking lot was full and it took a few minutes to find a spot to park my truck. It was sunny, but the lot was still mostly ice covered as I slipped and slid toward the door. The chili cookoff was in the service and shop area near the back of the store, so I had to walk past the helmet and boot display on way there.

I had no intention of buying another Harley helmet. However, there was one on the shelf that had some interesting graphics, so I pulled it down. It was a full face and my size. I noticed it had a drop down sun shield, which is a must, and some safety features my current Harley helmet did not. It also had inflatable cheek pads to give it a custom fit. Putting it on, I noted that it had the usual tight fit of a brand new helmet. At this point it became apparent that this helmet could be my next lid, at a cost several hundred dollars less than the Shoei GT Air I was considering.

The sales girl came over and explained how the removable cheek pads were designed to aid emergency workers in removing the helmet if necessary. She showed me how the sun shield lever operated and it was an improvement over my current Harley helmet's shield mechanics. She demonstrated how the inflatable cheek pads worked and I experimented with them. After a few more minutes of inspecting the prospective new lid, I thanked her and wandered back to taste some chili.

In the service counter area there were about seventeen assorted crock pots and Nesco roasters with chili or the remnants of what was chili. It had not taken long for some of the containers to be emptied out. I made a donation to the cause of the day and secured my styrofoam bowl and plastic spoon. After sampling about four varieties I cast my ballot for the hottest offering, took a long drink of water, and went back into the store.

The helmet was still calling my name, so I went back over and tried it on again. I am not normally an impulse buyer, but this seemed like the lid for me. After confirming that the twenty percent discount being offered that day applied, I decided to make the purchase. The large size on the shelf was the only one in the store, so the helmet is on order.

Once the ice and snow finally loosens its grip on northeast Wisconsin I will be able to report on how well the rather awkwardly named Frill Airfit Sun Shield helmet fits my needs. I will post a photo of my new Frill when I get it, but for now here is a stock picture.


Image result for harley frill helmet manufacturer


No comments:

Post a Comment