Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Discovering the Wisconsin Harley Davidson Dealers Association Passport Tour

A couple of days after my trip to Wausau I loaded up my backpack and rode south. My destination was Open Road Harley Davidson in Fond du Lac with a stop at Appleton Harley Davidson. The sun was out and temperatures were in the high 70's. This is prime riding weather in Wisconsin.

I purposely did not leave Green Bay until mid morning. My route was down I 41 and the traffic during morning rush hour is legendary. By the time I was on the road it was tolerable. Appleton Harley is about two miles off the interstate and I arrived ready for a water and stretch break.

This dealership holds some wonderful events during the year and there is ample room for them. They have a brat shed on the grounds for some events and a large parking area. Across the street is another parking lot that they use for the Harley Davidson Riding Academy classes. On this day there was one to one instruction happening. My wife and I stopped in early this year, prior to the pandemic shutdown, for their Wing Ding event. Local wings places set up shop in the maintenance area and for a small fee attendees can sample local wing delicacies. It was very well attended and a fond memory of when we could talk and mingle freely with fellow motorcycle and chicken wing enthusiasts. 

Appleton Harley Davidson

The shop had a good selection of new touring bikes and a few nice Sportsters. I always like the looks of the Sportys, but I don't see one in my future. I had one twenty years ago, but now that I am used to the Dynas and big twins I do not think I would be happy on a 1200. This dealership has very friendly associates and after a few brief conversations I packed up on got back on I 41 south. 

The Open Road dealership is on the frontage road on the west side of the interstate. It is in a huge building with a covered picnic area next to the parking lot. All of the newer Motor Company dealerships seem to be built next to the main highways and are on big pieces of property. It makes it easy to get in and out and provides plenty of room for dealer events. The pandemic has shut down the events, but the amenities are still there for riders like me. 

Open Road Harley in Fond du Lac

I parked next to the covered picnic table and enjoyed a leisurely lunch. Like the other shops, this one had very few customers. A couple of people drove up in cages and came out with parts and clothing. A couple on a trike rode in for a mid week visit. After eating I went in to find a lot of pandemic related safety features. I sanitized as requested and began to check out the merchandise.

Lunch break at Open Road

One of the associates came over and I told her I was visiting as many Wisconsin dealers as I could this summer as all of the usual events and rallies had been canceled. She told me about the 2020 Wisconsin H-D Dealers Association Passport Tour. The Passport Tour began on April 1 and ends October 31. There are fifteen dealers in the state participating. She gave me a Passport and explained how it worked. As you visit each dealer you get them to stamp your Passport. Depending on the number of stamps you get, you are eligible for prize drawings in the fall. I accepted the Passport she offered and realized that I had just found a riding goal for 2020. 

My ride home took me up the east side of Lake Winnebago. It is a much nicer ride than the interstate and quite scenic. During the ride I was planning my trips back to Bull Falls Harley in Rothschild and Mischler's in Beaver Dam to get the Passport stamps and visualizing rides to the far corners of Wisconsin. It is nice to have reason to ride in the middle of the madness.



No comments:

Post a Comment