Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Sometimes Things Change

My last post was over two months ago and described my plans to abandon the idea of doing more long distance touring on a motorcycle. I was planning to sell my touring bike and buy a sports car, a Ford Mustang in particular.

In the weeks after that post, I did attempt to sell the big BMW R1200 GSA and spent a lot of time surfing the Internet in search of the car I wanted. The bike was not generating any interest at my asking price and I lowered it steadily. The car was still appealing, but was becoming less so. I was beginning to think that maybe getting out on the road again would be a good idea after all.

By late July I began like I was not ready to give up the admitted excitement of riding across the country and that a Ford Mustang could wait. I'm only 67, and that seemed a little young be buying a sports car. In early August I stopped at my local BMW dealer and worked out a trade for my 2011 R1200 GSA. There were not any 2019 models left, so I have a 2020 on order. It should be here some time this month. It will be identical to the 2019 model my dealer acquired as a demo. He invited me to take it out for a ride last week and it is a wonderful machine.

The BMW R1200 GSA Exclusive in Kalameta Metallic Matte

In the meantime I am searching for a new riding jacket and gloves. The BMW National Rally is in Great Falls, Montana next June and I already have my reservations at the local Hampton Inn.

I am happy with my change of mind and am looking forward to the arrival of my new German beast. It should be on its way from Berlin soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment