Saturday, June 15, 2019

The End of Touring Life

The powers that be at the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America (BMWMOA) changed the date of the annual rally from mid July to mid June this year. It will most likely be viewed as a stroke of genius due to the fantastic weather in the Nashville area this weekend. The temperatures peaked out at about 90 degrees on Saturday with a pleasant breeze and low humidity. Thursday and Friday were a bit cooler and perfect for rally fun.

My brother and I rode in on our R 1200 GSAs at about 1:30 pm Friday afternoon. After visiting registration and dropping off our door prize tickets, we walked into the air conditioned vendor building. All of the usual suspects were present and my brother bought a new riding jacket. I was tempted by a aramid fiber enforced riding shirt to use when riding my Harley Davidson, but ultimately decided to wait on that purchase. The orange, black and white Shoei RF 1200 also drew my attention.

As you may or may not have noticed, my thoughts during the rally have been focused on my 2016 Harley Davidson Lowrider S. For those not in the Harley world, the bike is known as an FXDLS.

Visiting a northern Wisconsin Ranger Station

It is a completely different bike from my BMW and cannot come close to matching what the BMW offers. The FXDLS is the quintessential cruiser bike. I have mounted a couple of small bags to carry essentials for a day ride, but it does not have a windshield. It is not a bike that I would ride on 500 mile days, something that is a relatively easy ask on the BMW GSA.

So why have I been thinking Harley at a BMW rally? I have been thinking over the winter that my multi-day touring days are over. Since I started touring, about fourteen years ago, I have been to a lot of places. Several trips to the Black Hills, to include two Sturgis Rallies, three trips to the Dragon, and rides up Trail Ridge Road in the Rockies and the Mount Washington Auto Road in New Hampshire stand out. I have had a few different riding buddies and each trip hasH been a joy.

Hanging out in Pine Bluff prior to Slimey Crud Run
But I am beginning to feel a bit more homesick on each trip. My wife doesn't ride and I think I have seen enough of these beautiful United States without her. She has been very understanding of my wanderlust and desire to get out on the road with my bikes. I still plan to do that, but just for short overnight rides when I feel the need. Which brings me back to why I am thinking about my Harley this weekend.

The BMW, my first and only, has been a terrific bike. It has done everything I hoped it would, only better. The maintenance costs are higher than the Harley, but I knew that going in. But it is not a Harley Davidson. I had a Honda 160 Scrambler in high school and sold it when I left for US Army Basic Training. I did own a motorcycle for another 26 years. What drew me back in was the mid-nineties mystique of Harley Davidson. A 1996 Sportster Custom, which bought in 1998 was my entry back into bikes.

Since then, Harley has been the bike of my heart. It will not be possible for me to have only one bike and that bike not be a Harley Davidson. Either the FXDLS will meet my motorcycling needs or my needs will match the bike.

Taken on one of my Rustic Road riding trips
So as I ride home over the next couple of days, my thoghts will be of selling my BMW. I plan to keep my adventure riding gear for a period of time just in case I change my mind. But a muscle car made by the Blue Oval has caught my attention and may become a stablemate for the Harley in the near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment