Saturday, May 29, 2021

Kugel's Cheese Mart in Lena Wisconsin

 Earlier this month I completed my quest to ride 100 of Wisconsin's 122 Rustic Roads. The others are still tempting, but I am putting that pursuit on hold for this summer. They are all more than a day's ride away and I have other plans for my overnight trips in the coming months. I was looking for another way to add some purpose to my day rides and much like Little Miss Muffet's spider, an idea appeared.

My wife and were on our way into Door County and stopped at the Visitor's Center just south of Sturgeon Bay. While my wife was asking the helpful young woman at the counter about where to find cherry blossoms I was perusing the rack full of travel information. I picked up some bicycling maps and travel brochures for Door County and Wisconsin. That evening I picked up the Wisconsin book and found just what I was looking for.

There was a page or two that highlighted small cheese factories around the state. At one time I worked in a big cheese factory and cheese manufacturing still holds a lot of interest for me. Although there were only a factories noted and a lot of others have closed, I knew that there were still a good number of them in operation. A new, and tasty, plan for the summer began to form. I would research cheese factories within a day's ride and try to get to them on the days they offered tours.

Kugel's in downtown Lena

 On a bright and warm Saturday morning I started north on US Highway 141. Since I was on my Harley Davidson Lowrider S and I planned to bring home some cheese, I had an insulated lunch bag with an ice pack in it stowed in my backpack. It also served to keep my apple and water cold. My plan was to ride north toward Iron Mountain and then stop at Springside Cheese Factory near Oconto Falls on the way home. It was one of the factories featured in the travel book.

One of the joys of motorcycling alone is the opportunity to change plans at a moment's notice and that is what happened on this ride. About 30 miles north of Green Bay I saw a sign for Kugel's Cheese Mart in Lena. I took the exit and found myself alone in downtown Lena and parked in front of Kugel's. 

According to their website, Kugel's has been a family owned business since 1952. They age and package locally made cheeses and also sell a variety of imported products. As I browsed around the shop I noted that they sell Wisconsin related gifts along with a few from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The hoodie with Kugel's Cheese emblazoned on the front was inviting, but how many hoodies do I need at my age? 


Marinette County Overlook
Once I got to examining the cheese case the friendly clerk asked if I needed any assistance. I felt like I wanted to try something besides the usual cheddar, so I bought about six ounces of hot pepper brick. The clerk cut a thin slice for me to taste and it had just the right amount of heat for me. It was creamy like a brick cheese should be and I knew I had made a good choice. As the young man was wrapping it up I told him that I had worked at Pauly Cheese in Green Bay at one time. He recognized the name and said that Kugel used to buy block cheese from Pauly and repackage it for sale in Lena. 


Trillium Time in the Forest

After a little more small talk I went out and took a few pictures before getting back on the highway and riding north. At this point I decided that I would save the visit to Springside for another day. About thirty miles north there is a turnout where visitors can learn about the local logging history and take in a beautiful vista. On this day the trilliums were in full bloom. 

I continued north to the intersection with US Highway 8 near Pembine. Here I turned west until I found a wayside to stop and enjoy a road snack. The facilities at the wayside were closed, but the driveway was open and it was a nice quiet place for a break. Delicious cheese, an apple and cold water were all I needed to feel refreshed and ready for more miles.

A Perfect Road Snack

Back on the road, I turned south at Laona onto State Highway 32. One thing I noticed on my ride was the number of ATV's on the trails adjacent to the highways. There have always been some, but there seem to be many more than several years ago. Most of the restaurant and bar parking lots have a good number of them and some have more ATV's than cars and trucks. 

ATVs Are a Popular Means of Transportation

The weather was perfect, in the seventies north of US Highway 64 and into the eighties when I got back to the south. I'm glad I soaked in the heat because the temperatures were in forties five days later. My first cheese factory ride was a success and I look forward to more.

No comments:

Post a Comment