Thursday, October 26, 2017

A Day Ride to the Kettle Moraine State Forest

Once the calendar gets to within a couple of weeks of Halloween, the riding season in northeast Wisconsin is nearing its end. Fortunately, the motorcycle gods smiled on us with 70 degree temperatures and bright sunshine last week.While this time of year means a lot of yard work, and family responsibilities continue year round, I did manage to get out for some beautiful fall riding.

My work as a part time employee at Road America was complete in August and I was last at the track for the Sports Car Vintage Racing Association weekend in September. But recently I noticed on someone's Twitter account that the track owners were making some improvements, so a ride down there was in order. The track is located near the Kettle Moraine State Forest and that is always a great area in which to ride.

When I work at Road America I normally ride down the back roads, so on this day I chose Highway 57. There was a bit more truck and farm vehicle traffic than I expected, but it was still an enjoyable ride. The small towns of Hilbert, Chilton, New Holstein and Kiel don't change much, but there is a big addition to the Sargento Cheese Company being built in Hilbert.

Just beyond New Holstein I turned south on County Road A. It winds through some hilly farm country and past a picturesque white church. I have been on quite a few of Wisconsin's Rustic Roads this summer and found myself wondering why this one had not received that designation.

Entering the resort and racing town of Elkhart Lake, I cruised past the newly opened Throttle Stop. Billed as a "car and cycle concierge", they are capable of hot rodding or restyling your car or bike in addition to offering consignment sales, storage, and detailing. The Throttle Stop, along with the recently built Motorsports Villas on the south end of town, have made Elkhart Lake even more of a mecca for the well-heeled car owner and racing fan.

As I entered the Road America facility it was apparent that it was a quiet day. Often there are car clubs or driving schools using the track, but today there were only the sounds of construction equipment and riding lawn mowers. After a brief conversation with the gate guard and showing him my employee identification card, I was waved through. At present the road from the tunnel up to the paddock area is being repaved and the motorplex track was resurfaced earlier this fall. I stopped for a snack and a picture in the Carousel before continuing south on 67.

The trail leading to the inside of Canada Corner is a popular viewing area.

About six miles south of Elkhart Lake is Plymouth. This is the home of Sargento Cheese and a nicely kept downtown area. Highway 67 leads into the Kettle Moraine State Forest. The name is drawn from the kettles and moraines formed by the receding glaciers. It makes for some great riding and spectacular views.

The view from Parnell fire tower in Sheboygan County
A little south of Plymouth the highway was closed due to bridge construction. By chance, the detour led past the Parnell Fire Tower. I had not heard of it, but took the opportunity to climb it. It was a clear day and the fall colors were almost in full swing.

The weather had warmed more than I had expected, and I felt it after my hike up the tower. I took the liner out of my Olympia AST jacket and stowed it in the pannier of my GSA. After an apple (a real apple) break I was on my way again.

The detour led me back to Highway 67 and I continued south to Highway 45. There I turned back north toward Fond du Lac. Lunch was at the McDonald's on Highway 23 and then I rode Interstate 41 back up to Green Bay. I was thankful for the great weather and for having the time to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment