Monday, March 20, 2017

Campsites and Airports

The always unpredictable spring weather in Wisconsin provided a window of opportunity to ride today and I did not waste it. I was finishing a turkey sandwich as the thermometer crept up toward the magic 50 degree mark. My BMW GSA was already out in the thin, late morning sunshine soaking in whatever warmth was available.

As I cleaned up after lunch, my thoughts were on how hard the bike had worked to turn over last week. I had already decided that I was going to pack the Battery Tender again today just in case it was needed.

I keep my bikes and riding gear about three blocks from my house, at a duplex that I own. One side of it is sort of a man cave and I rent out the other side. There is a two stall garage with a wall between the two and I keep the bikes on one side. With an arrangement like this I have to remember to bring what I need from my house to the duplex. As I put on my riding gear I realized that last fall I did not leave any of the thick socks that I usually wear with my Sidi Canyon riding boots there. A little thing, but something to remember for the next ride.

After securing the snaps on my Olympia AST 2 I went out to crank up the big boxer engine. Today it turned over with no problem and I smiled as I pulled on my helmet and gloves. In a few minutes I was merging into noon day traffic on Highway 172.

I had planned to go west toward Waupaca, but the radar showed a batch of rain coming down from the northwest, to I decided to go up toward Door County. It was a little more windy than I anticipated, but I was comfortable as I took the Sturgeon Bay exit. I was not certain how far I wanted to get from Green Bay with the rain coming, but it felt so good to be out on the road.

Bayshore County Park is a good place to stop and take a short break. There are campsites and picnic tables available. Today there were only a couple of hardy souls out getting some fresh spring air. The road down to the boat landing was still off limits as the county barricade was across the road leading to the steep hill down to the bay. After taking a couple of pictures and returning a voice mail message, I rode east.



The wind was now a crosswind and was stronger than it had seemed as I was riding into it on the way north. The roads in Kewaunee County are familiar, but I usually turn south at Frog Station. Today I continued east into Rio Creek. I was quite surprised to note that there is an airport in Rio Creek. The county road here meets Wisconsin 54 and I turned back to the west here.

The ride to Green Bay was cool and windy, but it looked like the rain was going to miss northeast Wisconsin. So once I got back to town I took a quick ride out to Austin Straubel International Airport to see the new hangar going up on the east side of the terminal. It is being built to house the corporate jets of one of the local paper companies. They have two Dassault Falcon 2000 EX aircraft and it looks like they will have a comfortable new home.

As I headed for home I was glad to have had the bike out of town and stopped and started it a few times without any issues. It is due for service soon and I will be more confident in it once that is completed. The weather does not look too promising in the coming days, so the big Beemer is under cover and on the Battery Tender once again.




No comments:

Post a Comment